These little beauties will excite and delight you. They may not help pay off your mortgage any faster, but you can certainly dream about it as you enjoy one with your tea or coffee. Well, try stopping at just one. Go on I dare ya! They are so moreish and delicious you’ll find yourself saying “I’ll start that diet tomorrow”. For anyone who has never ordered these in a cafe or tried them before, they are basically a cake. A rich, moist miniature cake packed with calorific goodness. I read somewhere that they were of French origin but I personally cannot remember seeing them when I was in Paris. The recipe I used came from this month’s Delicious magazine. It was in the kids section. Why should they have all the fun?
LEMON FRIAND RECIPE
190g Unsalted butter
60g plain flour
200g of icing sugar
125g of almond meal
5 egg whites
grated zest of 1 lemon
1. Melt the butter.
2. Sift the flour, icing sugar and almond meal in a bowl. Grate the lemon zest and add it to the dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until frothy.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and beat until just combined.
5. Pour into a pre greased friand tin or muffin pan. Fill about 2/3.
6. Place into a 180 C pre heated oven.