Apples are everywhere at the moment. I love this time of the year as there are so many to choose from! I spotted these beautiful "Golden Delicious" variety the other week and knew I wanted to play around with them as soon as I got them home. (You know me!) I was planning a dinner party for the weekend and I wanted to present a low fat option for dessert. Something sweet enough that wasn't too heavy. And I have to say this dessert turned out mighty fine! I took the filling used to make baklava, combining pistachios, walnuts, ground cinnamon, cloves and honey and stuffed them into some cored apples. I added a little honey to the mixture and in the end we had a beautiful sweet ending to a filling meal. I regret not having some nice Greek yoghurt to go with the baked apples-as this would have complemented it perfectly-but I had run out. Next time I might add a combination of dried fruits and play around with this concept a little more.
RECIPE FOR BAKED APPLES STUFFED WITH A "BAKLAVA" FILLING
- 5-6 Golden Delicious apples
- 1 cup of roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/2 a cup of roughly chopped pistachios
- 2 tsps of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of ground cloves
- 3/4 cup of warmed honey
- Start by coring your apples using a an apple corer. Give them a good rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. Set them aside in a baking dish.
- Blend the nuts and spices, with a few tablespoons of the honey and proceed to fill the apples right to the top.
- Pour the remaining warmed honey over the apples and bake in a pre heated oven at 180 deg C for 25-30 mins.