This healthy olive oil cake makes use of limes, yoghurt and olive oil. It's fresh, light and will definitely bring a smile to your face.
I like to refer to this healthy olive oil cake as my "happy cake".
Because it incorporates all my favourite flavours that put a smile on my face. It's a little bit of happiness in every slice. (Ok that sounded a little too much like a slogan for an advertisement!).
The benefits of this healthy cake
- Limes - it's bursting with the flavours of zesty limes, full-fat Greek yoghurt and fruity, extra virgin olive oil.
As usual, if you don't have limes, I recommend you go with lemons - they're equally delicious and fit well with the citrus profile of the cake. And yes. Oranges would be fantastic too!
- Yoghurt - you should also know by now that Greek yoghurt is a " must-have" staple in my fridge too.
- Olive oil - when it comes to olive oil, you don't have to be an Einstein to work out that I have litres of it stored away in my apartment! I like to refer to it as "glistening gold".
Plus it's super easy to whip up and enjoy it for afternoon or morning tea.
To give this healthy olive oil cake a little facelift, dress it up with some lime zest that had been tossed in a small amount of sugar. It gives an extra burst of zing and sweetness in every bite. Again, this is entirely optional.
Whatever you do just make it...it's bound to bring a smile on your face too.
Thank you and take care.
Healthy Olive Oil Cake
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ cup flour, plain, sifted
- 1 cup sugar, caster or superfine
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lime, zested
- 2 tbsp sugar, caster or superfine
- 1 lime, zested
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg C and grease a 22cm baking tin - I used olive oil spray
- In a large bowl mix the yoghurt, olive oil, juice and eggs until well combined.
- In another bowl combine the flour, suagr, baking powder, salt and lime zest.
- Pour the lime mixture into the flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon mix until well combined. Do not overwork the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the baking tin and cook for 45-50 mins. The cake is cooked whern it is browned on top and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 mins before removing. Once cooled completely sprinkle with optional topping. Serve with Greek yoghurt.