Mushroom and Haloumi "Burger"
Portobello mushroom and haloumi cheese burger
Servings 1 burger
- 2 Portabella mushrooms with the stems trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 125 grams haloumi cheese
- 1 tbsp onions caramelised 2
- 1 pepper chargrilled
- micro herbs to garnish
Place the two portabello mushroom caps in a non stick pan and drizzle a little olive oil over them. Cook for two minutes on each side and then place the pan in a preheated 180 deg C oven and cook off the mushrooms for five minutes. Remove and set aside.
Heat another pan with a little olive oil and once it’s heated place your thick slice of haloumi on one side. Allow it to cook for 2-3 mins until it forms a nice brown crust, turn it over and repeat again. Once it’s cooked remove from the pan and set aside.
Take one of the mushroom caps and place some chargrilled peppers on the base, then the haloumi, followed by some caramelised onions. Garnish with micro herbs and top with another mushroom cap. Serve with your favourite potatoes on the side.
- Think of this as more of a construction than a recipe. You can add whatever you like.
- I pre make caramelised onions and chargrilled peppers and store them in the fridge.
- You may choose to add some crunchy cos lettuce, grilled eggplants-really the possibilities are endless.
- I quite like the concept of using the large portobello mushrooms as the base and top to create a burger.
- Even though burgers are usually eaten with one’s hand I’d be wary doing it with this!
Serving: 1burger | Calories: 561kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 23g