Domatokeftedes Tomato Fritters
Domatokeftedes or Tomato Fritters hail from Santorini and are perfect for summer eating. Use up abundant leftover tomatoes and make a batch to enjoy today.
Servings 16 fritters
- 5 Roma tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mint finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 175 g flour plain (all purpose)
- rice bran oil for frying **
Combine the tomatoes, onion, herbs, seasoning, olive oil and flour in a large bowl. The mixture will be like a very thick pancake batter. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
Depending on the size of your frying pan heat up enough oil in a pan to shallow fry the fritters. The oil is ready when it reaches 180 deg C on a thermometer.
Drop-in spoonfuls (using a dessert spoon or soup spoon is okay) of the tomato batter cooking a maximum of 3 fritters at a time. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side and drain on paper towels.
Sprinkle a little extra salt on top and serve with tzatziki or freshly squeezed lemon.
- I like to use rice bran oil when deep or shallow frying. It's quite neutral in taste and has a high smoke point.
- The calories do not include the oil used in frying
Calories: 55kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g