Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Transform your ordinary peppers with this delicious recipe for quinoa stuffed peppers. Aromatic, filling and very healthy too.
Servings 4 serves
- ⅔ cup quinoa white
- ⅔ cup quinoa red
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mint finely chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries can substitute with raisins
- ½ cup raw cashews roughly chopped (can substitute with pine nuts)
- 2 tbsp molasses pomegranate
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 150 g feta cheese crumbled, can substitute with goats cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 4 bell peppers medium-sized, sliced in half lengthways, cleaned, deseeded and white pith removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil for drizzling
Rinse the quinoa under some cold water until the water runs clear. Place the rinsed quinoa into a pot along with the chicken stock. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, bring it to a simmer and cook for approx. 15 mins until the chicken stock has been absorbed. Set aside.
Fry the onion in the olive oil until it becomes soft and translucent for approx 5 mins. Allow to cool completely before using.
Preheat your oven to 180 deg C. In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, fried onion, herbs, cranberries, cashews, molasses, cinnamon, seasoning and feta cheese.
Lay the cut peppers on a baking tray and stuff each half with the quinoa mixture, ensuring there is a little height. Drizzle a little olive oil over the peppers and bake in for 45 mins – 1 hour, until the peppers have are tender and cooked through.
Allow to cool slightly and serve garnished with some chopped parsley.
- You can substitute rice (arborio or long-grain works great) for the quinoa.
- Cooking time may take up to 1 hour. Check the peppers towards the end, so they don’t burn.
Calories: 652kcal | Carbohydrates: 84g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 9g