Spanakorizo - Greek Spinach Rice
Spanakorizo is a Greek recipe made with spinach and rice. Along with spring onions, rice, herbs and olive oil - it makes a delicious, nutritional lunch. And don't forget the side of feta cheese!
Servings 2 people
- 80 ml olive oil
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 4 spring onions green onions trimmed and finely chopped
- 500 grams spinach washed, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 80 grams rice medium grain
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon dill finely chopped
Heat 60 ml of the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and spring onions, stir and allow the mixture to become soft and translucent.
Add the spinach and stir, ensuring it becomes soft.
Add the chicken stock, rice, salt and pepper. Stir again and turn down the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and allow the rice to cook for approximately 15 mins. (See note 1)
Finish off the spanakorizo by adding 20 ml of olive oil, lemon juice and dill. Stir again to ensure everything is mixed through. Cover and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with bread and feta cheese.
- If using arborio rice, cook the for an extra 5 mins. Check to see that it is "al dente" - i.e. it still has a bite and is cooked through.
Serving: 1person | Calories: 623kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 6g