Mushroom, chorizo and halloumi tacos are the new holy trinity. Make these for an unforgettable summer lunch.
I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas.
Did you all manage to overindulge?
To be honest, I kind of like the post-Christmas gluttony period. (And when I talk about gluttony, I'm not only talking about the food).
I can now focus on myself, friends and the new year!
With summer in full swing here in Sydney, I'm all about informal get-togethers and casual eating. I try to keep it simple, and nothing could be simpler than cooking with mushrooms.
I'm back again this year developing some unique recipes that will hopefully provide some inspiration as we transition over to the new year this summer.
Mushroom Chorizo and Halloumi Tacos
For this recipe, I've taken that old favourite - the humble taco.
Some people are crazy when it comes to tacos. And I get the appeal. I'm not sure if it's wrong to say, but they sort of remind me of unwrapped gyros!
Anyway, I decided to experiment with a filling using halloumi, chorizo and button mushrooms. And as usual, you can be quite flexible here.
If you don't want to use pre-bought tortillas, you can always make your own. In fact, the ones used in this recipe today are homemade, based on an old Greek pita bread recipe! (recipe coming soon I promise!).
The chorizo and halloumi work really well together. I consider these two ingredients, another one of those "perfect marriages".
The button mushrooms round out the flavours perfectly. And when you pile all three into a warm, soft homemade tortilla, it really doesn't get any better!
You can always add some freshly grated cabbage if you wish and I think some of my avocado tzatziki would do wonders here.
Top them with some freshly sliced chillies, sprinkle some coriander and serve them with a cold beer.
Mushroom, chorizo and halloumi tacos are the "new black". Trust me!
Summer has only just begun…
Mushroom, Chorizo and Haloumi "Tacos"
- 500 g button mushrooms, wiped clean, cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch oregano, dried and Greek preferably
- 125 g chorizo sausage, (cooked chorizo not fresh)
- 200 g haloumi cheese, sliced in half
- 8 tortillas, medium-sized and warmed in a pan
- 1 tablespoon chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander, finely chopped
- Combine the mushrooms, olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano in a bowl. Place on baking tray and cook in a 200 deg C oven for 30-35 mins. Remove and set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat a little oil in a pan cook the chorizo on a medium high heat for a few mins until crispy. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan pan fry the halloumi for 2 mins each side until, browned and soft. Once cooked cut the haloumi into small even slices.
- Combine the mushrooms, chorizo and haloumi in a separate bowl.
- To make a taco place a 2-3 tbsps of the mushroom mixture into a warmed tortilla. Garnish with fresh chilies and coriander and serve immediately.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Souvlaki For the Soul
Great recipe! Where is our tortilla recipe?
It's coming soon.
Oh, my. These were so good! My husband loved them, too, and he was so skeptical when I showed him the recipe. I’m making them again tomorrow night. I used whole wheat street taco flours from the grocery store. Thanks!
This was so easy and delicious! Even the fussiest of eaters of my 3 kids loved it! Clean plates all round, now we want to make EVERYTHING ! Such inspiring fresh food and flavours on your site - thankyou!!
Glad you enjoyed it!