Enjoy this delicious weeknight meal of pasta with greens. It's as simple as boiling a few items and tossing them together in a pan. I've included mascarpone as an optional wicked ingredient - because cheese makes everything better!
I try to eat healthy.
I swear I do.
I try to incorporate a well balanced eating routine but I find that during the "silly" season (Xmas and New Year) things can get a little hectic on the food front.
Second helpings and extra sweets can certainly build up into unwanted kilos.
So, I was looking for a healthier alternative the other night for dinner.
My local deli always has a handy supply of goodies and on that particular day I found some freshly made whole wheat linguine.
Interesting I thought. It would be nice to balance this out with some lovely greens.
I picked some fresh asparagus, some peas, a bunch of spinach and some fresh mint.
Then off to work I went!
While this pasta dish is not of the traditional variety I always believe its good to experiment and play around with food.
It was very easy to prepare and it provided me with some very well needed greens.
I thought that the linguine might have been a little heavy but it was fine.
There's also an extra step for those who want to be a little "wicked" in preparing this dish.
Pasta With Greens
- 185 g asparagus, cleaned and woody ends chopped off (see Note 1)
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 2 cups spinach
- 250 g wholewheat linguine, fresh or dired (see Note 2)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 tbsp mint, freshly chopped
- 2 tbsp Mascarpone Cheese
- Blanch the asparagus, peas and spinach in boiling water for a few minutes. Remove and refresh in cold water.
- In the same pot you cooked the greens, cook the fresh pasta, Fresh pasta will cook a lot quicker. If using dried cook until al dente. Reseve a little of the pasta water.
- Heat a pan with a little olive oil. Once heated, add the garlic and fry. Add the drained, cooled greens and toss everything around for a few mins. Season the pasta and toss through the mint.
- Add the mascarpone and toss again - ensuring everything is well incorporated. If you find it's getting dry pour in some of the pasta water. Add the mascarpone and mix again.
- Serve with grated Parmiggiano Regiano and enjoy.
- In Australia small bunches of asparagus are sold in bunches which weigh approximately 185 grams.
- Use dried linguine or any other pasta you wish.
- Be flexible with the herbs too - use anything you fancy.