A deliciously moist healthy zucchini bread featuring grated zucchini, walnuts and warming spices. This recipe is perfect for brunch.
Do you have some sort of plan when you head out to do grocery shopping?
I like to think I do but a lot of the time i find myself distracted and end up buying things "I'd like to try" ($13 bags of Iranian fairy floss anyone?...ahem).
Other times I just buy too much of something and have to think of ingenious methods to use it up.
I really despise wasting food.
So there I was fighting my way through the crowded market stocking up on zucchini like there was going to be some sort of zucchini famine!
What was I thinking?
After featuring it as a "bridesmaid" side dish to a veal cutlet and rosemary potato "wedding" there was still plenty to feed a Greek army!
Thinking cap on I decided to make some zucchini bread.
I still don't know why these creations are referred to as a bread when in reality they are more like cakes or sweet muffins. No complaints from me though!
The end result was super moist zucchini bread and one I hope to repeat again.
I baked the zucchini bread in a baker's bread tin and threw in the last of my walnuts I had spare from my karydopita.
It was the perfect snack at breakfast time...lightly toasted and smeared with good quality Danish butter.
Next time I over do it on zucchini and make this bread, I'll omit the sugar and add some Parmesan for sharpness and some good quality bacon and end up with a different zucchini bread recipe.
Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 zucchini , large, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg C and lightly spray a baking tin (measuring 8" x 4") with some olive oil or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk your eggs and gradually add the oil, sugar, vanilla and zucchini
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and walnuts. Stir this into the egg mixture until just combined
- Pour the batter into the pre greased baking tins and bake for approximately 50 mins…ensure the bread is cooked by inserting a skewer in the centre.
- Once cooked allow to sit in the tin for 5 mins and then invert onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before serving.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Souvlaki For the Soul