Feta Dumplings are my newest invention! Warm and Comforting you’ll never look at soup the same way again.
I want to share with you a little recipe I came up with recently. It fits perfectly with Sydney’s current colder climate.
I was scanning the net for soup ideas when I came across an American classic called “Chicken and dumplings soup”.
Of course, I was intrigued and promptly went ahead and made it. It was comforting and hit all the right spots. But it was those dumplings that had me hooked.
They were wholesome, toothsome and satisfying. And these dumplings added a much-needed boost to an otherwise run of the mill chicken soup.
If you’re not familiar with soup dumplings, they’re little balls of dough that cook on top of the soup. I’ve only ever seen them used in American recipes.
I got cooking in my little kitchen and decided to “Greekify” the dumplings by using feta cheese. (Remembering that feta cheese has more uses than your typical Greek salad).
So I asked myself “Who needs bread?” when you can have “floating feta” on top of your soup.
💭 Top tip
My most important words of advice are to let them cook well. Otherwise, you’ll end up with gummy, sticky feta dumplings.
- 1 cup of plain or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of thin cream or "pouring cream" - if you're in the USA I think using half and half would be right too.
- 100 grams of feta cheese - let's not argue here. Use the authentic feta cheese.
- 2 tbsp parsley - this adds a beautiful colour to the dumplings
- Combine all your ingredients in a food processor until you end up with a dough.
- Towards the last 20-30 mins of cooking your soup - use a spoon to drop little balls of the mixture on top of the soup.
- Cook until the feta dumplings are firm to touch - yet soft.
🥣 What soup works best with feta dumplings?
I've used pumpkin soup in this recipe because I like the idea of a creamy soup contrasting with the salty, richness of the feta cheese.
I'm confident a tomato soup would work just as well too.
If you find the flavour of feta too intense, try your luck with goats cheese. It's milder flavour profile would be quite suitable for dumplings.
Feta Dumplings Recipe
- 1 cup flour, plain (all purpose)
- 1/4 cup cream, pouring or thin
- 100 g feta cheese
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process the mixture until you end up with a paste.
- Towards the last half hour of cooking the soup, using a soup spoon drop little balls of the dough on top of the soup.
- Cook for 20-25 mins until the dumplings are cooked through and serve immediately.