This Asian mushroom noodle salad draws inspiration from Thailand. It's a perfect summer recipe.
The heat is on! We’ve certainly been enjoying our fair share of hot weather since the beginning of the new year. For the first time in ages I’m kind of happy it’s like this. I know in previous years I’ve rambled on and complained about the humidity…
Sydney really is a great place to be in the summer months.
And I kind of wanted to start off the new year on a lighter note, in terms of cooking and experimenting with different recipes. It’s always the way with me at the beginning of a new year.
I’ve created a sort of hybrid stir fry/salad combo. I know it sounds odd but it came about by accident in my tiny kitchen. I wanted an “Asian inspired” recipe that was fun, fresh and healthy yet did not leave you hungry.
My Asian inspired salad draws on flavours from Thailand and includes a variety of mushrooms for an interesting mix. I’ve used shiitake, Enoki and oyster mushrooms and combined them with some firm tofu, shredded savoy cabbage, cucumbers and rice noodles (even though they’re not quite visible in the pics!).
Once the mushrooms are quickly stir fried they are added to the warmed through rice noodles and tossed with fresh herbs, a handful of bean shoots, a few crushed raw cashews and a "zingy" dressing. Garnish with some fried shallots and you have a complete meal.
It might seem like a few too many things going on but trust me. This was delicious! Just be prepared and have everything ready to go and you will be ready in no time.
If you’re in Australia, enjoy the summer and make sure you cover up!
All the best.
Scroll down for the full recipe.
Asian Mushroom Noodle Salad
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 200 g Shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 200 g Enoki mushrooms, remove base and separate mushrooms
- 200 g Oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 250 g rice noodles, cooked and cooled
- 1 cucumber, medium-sized, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 100 g firm tofu, sliced into thin wedges
- 1/4 Savoy cabbage, shredded thinly
- 1/2 cup bean shoots
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, crushed
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 2 chillies, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fried shallots , bought at Asian grocer
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok or large frypan. Allow the oil to become hot before tossing in the mushrooms. Add the ginger and stir fry the mushrooms for 2 mins until cooked through.
- Place the cooked rice noodles in a large bowl and add the mushrooms, cabbage, bean shoots, cucumber, tofu, mint, coriander and cashews.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well. Add to the salad and mix well.
- Top with chillies and fried shallots and serve immediately.