When I originally planned this dish I had my sights on firmly making a salad.
I had envisioned julienned carrots, plump orange segments and fresh coriander all finished with a vibrant red wine vinaigrette.
And then all that changed…
My food choices are very much dictated by the weather. And since the current weather seems to be going through a "Jekyll and Hyde" phase my cooking also tends to follow the seasons.
Do you do that? Or am I alone on this one?
So in the end I made soup. And what a surprising yet gorgeous combination this turned out to be.
I personally love the idea of blending fruits with veggies - this one manages to successfully combine the earthy, yet sweet flavour of the carrots and the zing of the oranges.
I've included orange zest for aroma, a little juice for flavour and upped the ante by adding some fresh ginger to the spice mix.
There's also a little chilli for heat and some honey for sweetness.
And finally (because I can't just have one thing!) I made some coriander and chilli butter that I eagerly spread over some toasted spelt bread.
I served this carrot and orange soup in some large mugs that I had found a thrift shop. (How very vintage!).
Salads can wait till summer I say...
CARROT AND ORANGE SOUP RECIPE
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 whole chilli finely chopped
- 1 5cm piece of ginger grated
- zest of 2 oranges
- 8 medium sized carrots, chopped into even chunks
- 1/4 cup dried lentils (optional)
- 4 cups chicken or veggie stock
- 2 tbsp honey
- juice of half an orange
- salt and pepper to season
- chopped coriander for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a medium to large pot and lightly saute the onion, garlic, chilli, ginger and zest until translucent (approx 2-3 mins).
- Add the carrots and lentils if using and stir to combine for another minute. add the stock and cook for 40 mins or until the carrots are tender.
- Blend the soup using a hand blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Add the honey, juice and seasoning and cook on the heat for a further 5 mins.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve immedaitely.
CORIANDER AND CHILLI BUTTER RECIPE
- 75 grams butter
- 2 heaped tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 whole chilli
- pinch sea salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spread over warm toasted bread.